Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.
FOCUSED ON GREATER THINGS
Many people regard faith slightly and with weariness. It is not their object of eager desire. In our Lord teaching, the kingdom of heaven is supremely desirable. It is more valuable than anything else we can have, and a Christian must be willing to give up everything to obtain it.
Jesus Christ, He is the true treasure.
Be willing to venture all and to quit all for Him. All fullness is found on Him. All treasures of wisdom and knowledge are on Him. Dig deeper in the gospel, in the Old Testament and New Testament to find the real hidden treasures in life.
- Like marrow in the bone, manna in the dew, honey in the honey comb, and water in the well.
- Gold, silver, diamond and other precious stones are not found in the surface, they are hidden. Eager searchers of the scriptures will find Christ and eternal life. John 5:39
Little things always distract us from the real things.
- People of this world are busy seeking worldly pearls. One would be rich, another is honorable, and another would be learned only to end up with counterfeit pearls.
- Jesus Christ is the only pearl of great price. A jewel of inestimable value.
What are those greater things for Christians, things that give glory to God?
- A true Christian is a spiritual merchant who seeks, finds, and purchases it. 1 Corinthians 1:30
- Leaving all to follow Jesus. Cheerfully abandon those competing for our love and service to the Living God, even though so dear to us. The kingdom is the origin of highest joy, and, as seen in the pearl, the kingdom should be reckoned as the most precious ownership.
- Give ourselves first to Jesus so; we can give what we have to God. 2 Corinthians 8:5
- The pearl is costly but given free by Jesus. Do everything to keep it. Hebrew 12:15.